19 Essential Web Applications for Growing Organizations
As organizations grow, they experience lots of change. This change leads to a real need to save money, hire new employees and retain the good ones they already have. Here are some web applications for the iPhone, the Android and the computer that can help growing organizations handle all the exciting things they have going on.
For the iPhone
- OmniFocus: This task management application allows you to create to do lists, as well as sync with documents on your desktop. This application can really help you stay organized, which is especially important if you bounce between your office and visiting clients in their homes.
- Google Calendar: Check your Google calendar from anywhere. You never have to worry about being out of touch just because you don’t go into the office.
- Full Screen Web Browser: Does just what it says: lets you browse in full screen.
- Evernote: You’ll never take notes on paper again. It’s so easy to take notes on your phone and save them or file them.
- AirSharing: A great way to share files: AirSharing allows you to mount your iPhone or iPod Touch as a wireless drive on any computer, drag and drop files and then view them on your device.
- Bento: A personal database on the go. You can manage all your information in one spot.
- iBlueSky: A great brainstorming application for getting ideas out of your head an into a document. This is perfect for creating business plans and strategies for growing.
- Jobs: Creates timesheets with ease. This application is very simple to use. Create a job, track your hours and then bill your client quickly and easily from one simple iPhone application. This application will really come in handy for keeping track of time to bill clients without having to always go back to the office to catch up.
- Linked In: Linked In is one of the most popular social media sites for job hunters and for companies who are growing their staff. Now you can access it on your Iphone.
- Overview: This application lets you track and record employee feedback. It can be a great way to help manage change and get employee opinions and suggetions.
- The Influencer: Manage conflict and employee issues better by consulting the influencer. You’ll learn your personal communication style and how to improve relationships at the office through communicating in that style.
- The Interviewer: Improve your interviewing technique and keep track of candidates you’ve interviewed on one handy Iphone app.
For the Android
- Wifi Buddy: Wifi Buddy is a Wifi network scanner tool. The screen shows all nearby Wi-Fi stations, the quality of their signal, and their chosen broadcast channel. This one is great for when you’re out of the office and need to work remotely.
- Upvise: This Android app lets you access and share business information with your team when you’re traveling.
For the Computer
- StepStone Solutions: This is one of the leading online performance management solutions. It is widely used worldwide. It can scale with you as your business grows.
- Sage: Sage is one of the leading HR and payroll management systems. It is widely used and works well for small and medium sized businesses, up to 1500 employees. Manage time, vacation, overtime and flex time in one easy to use system.
- Eazy HRM: This is an all in one solution for managing current employees. It can store your employee information, allow employees to access and update their information, and manage leave, attendance and benefits. There is also a recruitment module and a reporting module.
- Softworks: This is a widely used tool for reporting things such as time, attendance, holidays, etc. They have several modules that can be used by small and medium sized businesses.
- The Human Equation: The Human Equation offers modules that are industry specific. It is one of the best web applications for medium sized business training around. You can also use the development module to develop your own company specific courses. During the early stages of your business and periods of growth, this can save you time and money.
With these applications and others you find on the web, you can make growing your organization and more cost effective. So, check these applications out and see how they can improve your company’s productivity and help it manage change.
21 Excellent YouTube Videos to Learn About Organizational Development
Organizational Development is a hot field right now. Many large and small companies look for help to grow and change their organizations in the best possible way both financially and from a business perspective. Organizational development is a wide ranging field. Jobs in the field can be related to training, growing the organization or managing change within an organization as the result of leadership changes, economic issues or competitive ones. This field requires people who are creative, organized and adaptable and who have great business and people skills.If you’re interested in learning more about organizational development, take a look at these 21 videos from YouTube.
- Video Chat, Dean School of Management, Regis University:This video is a chat with the Dean of the School of Management at Regis University, who talks about the growing field of organizational development including the types of opportunities that are available in the field.
- A Day in the Life of an Organizational Development Specialist: This video gives you an idea of the typical activities of a professional in the organizational development field. This is a great way to learn about what to expect from this sort of career.
- Organizational Development: This is a lecture on organizational development from the Indian Institute of Science in Bangalore.
- Organizational Development: Another lecture in the series on organizational development from the Indian Institute of Science in Bangalore.
- Organization Theory: Another lecture in the series on organizational development from the Indian Institute of Science in Bangalore.
- Organizational Development Conference: Excerpts from the 2007 Organizational Development Conference.
- NTL Institute: NTL Institute’s Alfred Cook explains organizational development and how it is used to make the most of organizations.
- The Future of Organizational Development: This is another chat with the Dean of the School of Management at Regis University, who talks about the future of organizational development.
- The Kolb Model of Organizational Development: This video discusses the Kolb Model, one of the most important in organizational development.
- Strategic Organizational Development: This is one of a series from the Economies of Change series on strategic organizational development.
- Organizational Development and Business Effectiveness: This video discusses improving business through a focus on organizational development.
- Organizational Change: A skit describing the importance of accepting organizational change.
- Approaches to Change: A Tale of Three Villages: This video focuses on three different approaches to organizational change including TQM, Six Sigma and Reengineering.
- Corporate Organizational Change: This video focuses on the importance in organizational change in large companies.
- How Organizations Change: This video focuses on how organizations make change.
- How Organizations Change Part 2: This video focuses on how organizations make change.
- Change Readiness Assessment: Is your organization ready for change?
- DC360 Organizational Development System Using Directive Communication Psychology: This video discusses the use of the Directive Communication Psychology in implementing change and development in organizations.
- Leadership of Corporate Culture Evolution: This video talks about creating a leadership enriched organization.
- Corporate Culture: How Does it Really Work?: This video with Linda Ford discusses integrating corporate culture.
- Building Corporate Culture: The Fusion Group: This video by the Fusion Group discusses how corporate culture is created.
The Ultimate Guide to Organizational Development
Organization Development is understood as a long term effort as supported by the top management as an effort to improve an organization’s organization’s visioning, empowerment, learning, and problem-solving processes by the medium of an ongoing, collaborative management of organization’s culture. During the entire process of Organizational Development there a special focus is generally levied upon culture of intact work teams and other team configurations by the aid of a consultant. During this entire process application of behavioral science and action research is therefore is applied.
Following are some of the primary characteristics of operational development
- It put emphasize over culture and processes
- It promotes collaboration between organizational leaders and members in due course of managing culture and processes
- In OD teams of all sorts are precisely important for various sorts of task accomplishments and achievements.
- It concentrates towards both on human as well as and social side of the organization.
- There in OD is involvement a problem solving and decision making process of all levels of organization and every step of organization.
- It concentrates over the systemic change, organizational views and complex social systems.
OD practitioners are facilitators, collaborators, and co-learners with the client system with having imparting of problem solving skills and as wells as knowledge for continuous learning by the self analytical methods to client as to enable them with capacity to solver there problems on their own. It relies over an action research model with having an extensive participation by client system members. Development views seeking betterment in both individuals as well as in organization.
While dealing with individual’s operational development wishes to develop their potential and drive them towards personal growth and development provided with supportive and challenging environment. As it is seen that most of the people love to have a desire and making a capable higher level of contribution achieving organizational goals as rather than permitted.
In OD there is also mentioned certain implication even for managers too like asking, listening and having support, challenge and to encourage risk taking permit failure and removable obstacles and barriers as it gives autonomy and responsibility. Where as in dealing and operating through groups are to work in group including peer and boss. With most people desire to be accepted and interact with one or more small reference groups. Most people are capable of making greater contributions to groups’ effectiveness and development.
Thus organizational development can be understood from the long range effort to improve organization’s problem solving and renewal processes especially through the rather more effective and collaborative management of organizational culture, generally with the assistance of a change agent or catalyst and with the practical usage of applied behavioral science.
Masters in organizational development
The Master of Organizational Development is an honor awarded to those interested in practicing in the field of organizational development, in conjunction with human resource management. As a general outline this enables you to comprehend what is required to enact any strategies in an organization as well as managing of the human resource in an organizational setting. It is also aimed at instilling critical thinking into the learner in a way to make it easy, for them to strategically manage the unfolding trends in an organization. In some colleges it is collectively known as the Master of Human Resource and Organizational Development.
With the common core modules that make up this course, a learner has a choice to make from the elective modules. Completing the course would take you approximately 2 years of study with each unit designed to occupy an average of 150 hours of the study time. In order to enroll for a Masters in Organizational Development certain qualifications must be certified in advance.
- The applicant ought to have successfully gone through a degree course or an equivalent qualification in a certified tertiary institution.
- The applicant also should have passed with a minimum of credit grade in the respective degree course.
- The applicant, in some cases is supposed should also provide proof of working experience.
After that the admission of a candidate into the college is reliant up on the faculty in charge.
The teaching method involves the students using packages that are comprehensive enough to cover the assigned course work in the given time frame. This, in most cases will include the recommended textbooks and references relevant to the study and probably prepared printed materials. Students are also allowed access to an online site to take their notes from and sometimes to be a quorum for consultations and group discussions. For some students, one on one interaction with the lecturers is possible but for some they have to attend the compulsory online classes. At the end of the course, the students are expected to hand in project proposals of their own making and to make the necessary thesis for evaluation by their lecturers.
With the master in Organizational Development, you are guaranteed to top places in the career market. It enhances your chances of securing employment and in a great way boosts your career opportunities. You could easily secure a chance with the world’s leading companies as a Human Resource Manager or any other related reputable position.